Southampton Day Service provides activity based community services for people in the City of Southampton.
The service is set up to enable users to:
- Develop skills and confidence necessary to live as independently as possible
- Enhance their status by providing relevant training and support, enabling informed decision making
- Provide a respite service from the home situation which will support parents and carers
The aim of the service is to provide positive disability and mental health awareness within a supportive and enabling environment, with access to a network of opportunities and experiences in education, voluntary work, employment, recreation and leisure, both on site and in the wider community.
People are given the opportunity to improve and develop:
- General health and well-being
- Confidence and self esteem
- Communication skills
- Decision Making
- Self Advocacy
- Personal Safety skills
- Self management skills – WRAP, etc.
- Access to alternative agencies and support groups
- Community skills
- Employment skills – Access to Integrated Employment Services and voluntary work
- Access to Community Learning and Adult Education
Activities currently on offer include; Sports, Art & Craft, Ceramics, Exercise, Gardening, IT, Sensory & Relaxation, and Photography, to name but a few. All the groups and activities available are identified and developed with service user needs, choice and aspirations in mind at all times.
The range of services provided by SDS are continually changing and developing. This is in response to the needs and aspirations of service users. These will be continually reviewed to ensure the best possible outcomes for individuals.
Southampton Day Services are committed to ensuring that the service is known of, accessible, and relevant to potential service users from all ethnic groups and cultures; that it recognises individuality and diversity and that future service development is as close as possible to individuals own communities.