Skip to main content

Trust Taplins Childcare

Monday to Friday 7 am - 6.30 pm Minimum of 5 hours for morning session (we open at 7 am). A full day is 10 hours or more. Nursery spaces are for NHS employees and the local community.

This setting has signed up to offer Tax Free Childcare.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Anna Rixon
Contact Position
Nursery Manager
023 8054 0653
Taplins Childcare

Where to go

Trust Taplins Childcare Centre
Western Community Hospital
William Macleod Way
SO16 4XE
Children's Centre Areas

Other Details


Table of costs
Table of costs
AmountCost Type
£5.63/ £5.88 Per Hour
Nursery Education Funding for 38 weeks per year


Age Ranges
From 0 years 3 months to 5 years 0 months

Inclusion Information

Special Needs

Has Provision
Experience with
Challenging Behaviour
Learning difficulties
Language impairment
Behaviour management
Speech and Language delay
Autistic spectrum disorder
Special Educational Needs
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Attention Deficit Disorder
Severe dietary needs
Aspergers Syndrome
Epi pen trained
Serious allergy
Emotional needs
Prader Willi Syndrome
Downs syndrome
Physical impairment
Motor impairment
Medication - Administration Of
Deafness Or Hard Of Hearing

Childcare Information


Immediate vacancies
Minimum of 5 hours for morning session (we open at 7 am). A full day is 10 hours or more.
Date updated

Funded Places

3 & 4 year old funding
2 year old funding

Opening Times

Opening Times
Opening Times
DayOpening TimeClosing Time
Monday 07:00 18:30
Tuesday 07:00 18:30
Wednesday 07:00 18:30
Thursday 07:00 18:30
Friday 07:00 18:30


Maximum number of Vacancies

Vacancy Age Ranges
Vacancy Age Ranges
Age RangeVacancies
0-1 1
2-4 1

School Pickups

Offers pickups

Ofsted Information

Ofsted URN
Link to latest ofsted inspection report 

Local Offer

Contact Name
Anna Rixon
Contact Telephone
023 80540653
Contact Email
Local Offer Age Bands
Early Years (0-4 years)

Other Education Extended Local Offer details from Trust Taplins Childcare

How does your education setting know if children/young people need extra help and what do I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

We have a key-person system at our nursery. This means that your child is looked after for most of the time by one person. The key-person knows the children in their group really well and will keep records on their development. You will be able to see these records and add to them whenever you would like.

When the key-person writes these records, if they feel that your child is not at the stage of development they would expect then they will speak to Rachel Tabenor, our Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) who works with children with additional needs.

You may also have some concerns about your child’s development that you would like to talk about, and you can do this with your child’s key-person or with Anna.

Rachel will work with your child, family and key-person to talk about what we need to do to support development. Some children need some extra help for a little while, for example encouraging their speech and language development.

Other children may need more help, in these cases, following a discussion with you and with your permission, Rcahel would contact the Area SENCO from Southampton City Council who will come in and observe your child. They will then offer further advice for supporting your child, or help us to arrange for other professionals to see your child.

This can be a worrying time, but we will work closely with you and your family and offer you lots of support.

How will the education setting staff support my child / young person?

Each key-person is responsible for planning activities to promote the development of every child.

If your child has additional needs, the key-person is supported by Rachel (our Special Educational Needs Coordinator) to make sure that your child is given the support they need. We also include any guidance from other professionals into our planning. For example, some children need to do physiotherapy exercises each day.

Some children are given some funding from Southampton City Council to help support their development in nursery (we can help you apply for this). We use this funding for your child to have some 1:1 time with their key-person, or our 1:1 worker. This person works with children with additional needs to help support them in nursery.

Sometimes the 1:1 worker carries out activities just with your child, and sometimes they work with your child and others so your child can be with their friends and do the same activities as their key-group.

The key-person/1:1 worker plans for 1:1 time so that we can make sure that your child is getting the support they need. After the 1:1 session, they will write an evaluation of the session and of your child’s progress. Rachel checks this planning to make sure that your child’s needs are being met. The key-person/1:1 worker will update you regularly on your child’s progress.

We also work with you and other professionals looking after your child. We will attend any meetings about your child that we are invited to so that we can share information and make sure that your child’s needs are met.

How will the curriculum at your education setting be matched to my child / young person's needs?

We plan for each individual child’s development using our key-person system.

Each key-person keeps records of the children in their group and their development, including observations and photos.

They also work with you so that any information you have from home (for example, that your child started toilet training) is added to this record.

The key-person uses this information to plan for your child’s next stage of development, and does this through activities and the daily routine.

When the key-person is carrying out activities, they adapt it to the needs of each child. For example, in a scissor activity, one child may need the key-person to hold the scissors with them, but another can use them by themselves.

For those children with additional needs, the key-person together with you, any other professionals working with your child, Rachel (our Special Educational Needs Coordinator) and the 1:1 worker will write an Individual Education plan (IEP). This is a plan for your child which sets out the specific goals your child is working towards and breaks them down into small steps.

For example, the long term goal may be to sit up, so a small step to this would be for them to spend some time each day on their tummy playing with toys. The IEP will tell us what we need to do at nursery, how, and who will carry out the activities.

As we carry out activities we write an evaluation of your child’s progress, and we share this information with you.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child / young person's learning?

We work closely with every child’s parents. We know that you know your child the best, and that you have lots of knowledge about your child that you can share with us to help us to look after your child well.

We collect this information during your child’s first visit to nursery and throughout their time with us.

Your child’s key-person makes sure that there are messages for you when you come to collect your child at the end of every nursery day. For under 2’s this is in a daily diary and for over 2’s on a message board. You can also leave messages in the morning for them to see.

Our staff work shifts so you may not see your child’s key-person at the beginning / end of every day, but there will be other staff from your child’s room available to speak to. We also encourage parents to phone during the day to speak to your child’s key-person directly.

We keep online developmental records on your child containing observations / photos of things they have done at nursery, and we encourage you to add to this. We plan for your child’s next steps in development .

Once a term we also invite you to a Parent Consultation appointment where you have time with your child’s key-person to talk about your child’s development.

We will attend any meetings about your child so that we can make sure that all information is shared.

What support will there be for my child / young person's overall wellbeing?

All of our senior staff are trained in first aid, which includes giving medicines and we have a policy which we follow when doing this. We will always get your permission before giving medicines and there is always at least one member of senior staff here at all times.

We can give all medicines, and carry out procedures such as using Epi-pens if needed. We will work with you and any medical staff looking after your child to make sure that we are giving medicines correctly.

As we look after under 5’s, we are used to giving personal care and make sure that this is carried out in a dignified way.

We have policies and procedures, including Children’s Behaviour and Safeguarding (Child Protection) policies, which we follow in nursery and we share these policies with you before your child starts.

Our staff are employed by the NHS and so there are lots of checks that take place before they can start work here. Once staff are working here, their work is monitored by the senior staff. All staff take part in training every year to help them develop their role and skills.

Our staff listen to the children and give them choice where possible. For example, children without speech can point to choose apple or banana at snack time, or to choose the toy they’d like to play with.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by your education setting?

We do not have specialist Special Educational Needs (SEN) staff based at nursery, but we access lots of support from other professionals as needed. For example, if your child has their own physiotherapist then we will book visits with them so that they can teach us how to carry out exercises with your child.

Several of our staff have lots of experience working with children with additional needs, and we also use training to increase our staff knowledge and understanding. For example, we took part in signing training as a staff team so that all staff were more confident in supporting children’s communication.

We are always ready to learn about different additional needs and will work closely with you and your family to help us to do this. We also access support from Southampton City Council and their SEN team to do this if needed.

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEN and Disabilities had or are having?

As a staff team we take part in lots of training.

Some of this training is mandatory, so we have to do this each year. This includes: Safeguarding, Health and Safety and Resuscitation.

The management team monitor the staff and then decide which training is needed as a staff team. For example, several staff were not as confident as desired in using signing to support communication, so we booked signing training to develop this.

We also support individual staff so that we can make sure that we meet individual staff needs - for example, booking Individual Education Plan (IEP) training for a key-person who is going to start writing these.

Our management team is well-qualified, so we can also support staff with on-the-job training as needed.

How will my child / young person be included in activities including trips run by your setting?

As long as a child is able to, they take part in all activities in nursery and we will adapt activities as and where needed. For example, we have a sand tray on a frame, but for a child who cannot stand we lift the tray onto the floor so that all children can reach it.

As we work with children under the age of 5 years who are all at different stages of development, as a staff team we are used to adapting activities for all children to take part.

If your child receives funding for 1:1 support, then we will also use this to help them to access all activities. For example, your child may find it difficult to take part in a group game, but with an adult helping them they can.

Our normal practice in nursery is therefore of inclusion of services and activities.

If a child genuinely cannot take part in an activities because of health restrictions, then we offer an alternative which is similar to the original activity and/or develops the same skills. We would do this alongside other children so that no child feels singled out or excluded.

As mentioned in previous sections, your child will have a developmental record and their key-person will plan activities to promote their development from this. We will add any ideas/observations from you to this, and use this to plan activities.

How accessible is your education setting? ( indoors and outdoors)

The nursery is based on the ground floor of the building and is fully wheelchair accessible. There are disabled toilet facilities available.

If your child needs specialist equipment or additional facilities, then we will work with you and any other professionals involved in your child’s care to access this. To support children with communication needs we currently use signing which is based on Makaton (as the training for this was not provided by official Makaton trainers).

We can also access support to communicate with parents / families whose first language is not English.

How will the education setting prepare and support my child / young person to join the education setting, transfer to a new setting and or the next education stage and life?

We support each child when they are due to move room within our nursery, or between settings, and we will work with you and your child to help them to be ready for the next stage in their education.

If your child is moving between rooms in our nursery then we will arrange a visit for you to meet your child’s new key-person and to see their room. Your child will also have visits booked in so that they start to get to know their new key-person and room.

We share lots of information about your child and their needs so that the new key-person is ready to look after them. Our 1:1 worker is not based in a specific room, so they will continue to work with you and your child throughout nursery.

When your child is due to move setting, we will work with you and their new setting to share information and make the transition as smooth as possible. For example, your child may visit their new setting with their key-person, or their new teacher may visit your child here.

How are the education setting resources allocated and matched to children and young people's Special Educational Needs and disabilities?

We do not have any whole-setting funding, so we apply for individual children to access funding as needed. We will work with you and the Local Authority to do this and can provide support with filling out forms etc.

We can apply for funding once an Education, Health and Care Assessment (EHCA) has been agreed. For all three- and four-year-olds (and eligible two-year-olds) who are undergoing an assessment, we can potentially receive a one-off payment to support us for the duration of this assessment process, if this is considered by the Local Authority to be needed.

Following this process, if it is agreed that your child will receive an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) then we will receive any funding attached to this to enable us to meet your child’s needs as outlined in the plan.

If your child has an EHCP we will discuss with you how any additional funding is used to meet your child’s specific needs. For example, we may use some of it for extra 1:1 learning support time, and some for buying resources which will help promote your child’s development. This all depends on the individual needs of a child.

In some cases it may be possible to access financial assistance from the Local Authority to provide support that may only be required for a short period of time, for example to help towards the cost of a worker, for up to six months. This is assessed on an individual needs basis by the Local Authority.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child /young person will receive?

We monitor all children’s progress and decide the level of support required based on this.

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), this will make very clear what your child’s needs are and how we should be supporting them to meet the outcomes within the plan. Any additional money that is attached to your child’s EHCP will be provided by the Local Authority to meet your child’s needs. We will discuss with you how the funding will be used.

Our Special Educational Needs Coordinator and your child’s keyworker will review Individual Education Plans regularly (how often depends on the targets and the date set for review).

We will also take part in any review meetings for your child with other professionals so that we can review your child’s development and plan for future development.

How are parents / young people currently involved in your education setting? How can I be involved?

Your child’s key-person will work with you to make sure that we are meeting your child’s needs and promoting their development. This may be through collecting observations / photos, chatting to your key-person when you drop your child off or writing a note in their daily diary.

We also have an open door policy at nursery, which means that Anna (the Nursery Manager ), and Debbie and Marie (the Deputy Nursery Managers) are always ready to receive any feedback, or just have a chat with you!

We communicate via posters, newsletters and emails, and send out questionnaires for you to comment on our nursery. This means that we can share information with you, but also that any ideas you have or concerns about our nursery can be dealt with.

We also have a parent committee which you can join if you would like. This meets four times a year and discusses the development and progress of our nursery.

We also have some parents who like to volunteer – for example by making some play dough or lead a singing session for us!

Share your feedback on this page ∇

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this directory, we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any errors that have occurred. It is recommended that you always check with providers that their service or organisation meets your requirements. We offer an impartial service and we cannot recommend or endorse any providers listed.

Further information