Skip to main content

Jane's House - Cook, Jane

An experienced caring childminder with many happy children and parents during the last 25 years. I provide a wide assortment of toys and activities suitable for children of various ages. I take any opportunity to provide new learning experiences for the children.

This setting has signed up to offer TaxFree Childcare.

Who to contact

023 8078 4019
Social Media

I  can offer funded nursery education to 2, 3 and 4 year olds. I am committed to furthering my knowledge and look at ways to develop and sustain my good practice. I provide separate bedrooms with individual bedding (for the babies and toddlers) and have completed the Healthy Early Years Award.  Open most school holidays including summer holidays, before and after school. No bank holidays or Christmas. I offer Flexicare for older children. We have lots of fun and learning through everyday experiences and go out and about most days. I attend soft play groups, visit the library regularly and encourage your child to develop ready for school. I visit other childminders regularly so that children get used to being with others. I monitor children's language development and believe this is important. I don't provide any screen time, instead I encourage children to develop their own imaginary play using a wide variety of resources. I offer flexible care for older children. See my Facebook page for more details.

Where to go

Children's Centre Areas
North Shirley

I have a step to my front door. There is a downstairs toilet for children to use.

Time / Date Details

Time of day
Early Morning

Other Details


Table of costs
Table of costs
AmountCost Type
£4.50 Per Hour


Age Ranges
From 0 years 2 months to 11 years 0 months

Inclusion Information

Special Needs

Has Provision
Experience with
Autistic spectrum disorder
Deafness Or Hard Of Hearing
2015: Completed and passed Level 4 module on Special Educational Needs run by the University of Gloucestershire

Childcare Information


Immediate vacancies
Vacancy for 4 days a week
Date updated

Funded Places

3 & 4 year old funding
2 year old funding

Opening Times

Opening Times
Opening Times
DayOpening TimeClosing Time
Monday 7.30am 5pm
Tuesday 7.30am 5pm
Wednesday 7.30am 5pm
Thursday 7.30am 5pm
Friday 7.30am 5pm


Maximum number of Vacancies

Vacancy Age Ranges
Vacancy Age Ranges
Age RangeVacancies
0-1 1
2-4 2

School Pickups

Offers pickups
Shirley Junior School
Shirley Infant School
Barn Owls Pre-school
The Shirley Pre-School

Ofsted Information

Ofsted URN
Link to latest ofsted inspection report 

Local Offer

Contact Name
Jane Cook
Contact Email

Other Education Extended Local Offer details from Jane's House - Cook, Jane

How does your education setting know if children/young people need extra help and what do I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

When children first start, parents are asked to complete the 'My Unique Child' document which gives an overview of the child's learning and development. This covers their physical development (eating, drinking, health, sleeping and toileting) and their playing and learning (how active they are, what they like to do and explore, watch/listen to, favourite books etc.).
This provides an overview to help me learn more about the child throughout their settling period until I have gotten to know them.
I continually monitor and observe children's progress using the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) and Early Years Outcomes, as a guide for the developmental progress (up to 5 years) that children can typically make.

How will the education setting staff support my child / young person?

I monitor the child's speech and language development using the Every Child a Talker (ECaT) tool, which provides an overview of development, and identifies any gaps. This allows early intervention if required (and not already in place).
The Early Years Advisory Teachers (EYAT) based at Southampton City Council are able to support and implement strategies if additional support and resources which are not already provided at the setting are required.

How will the curriculum at your education setting be matched to my child / young person's needs?

If a child is receiving additional support (e.g. Speech and Language) and has specific areas to work on, I will work closely with the parents and other professionals to achieve this. An Individual Education and Care Plan (IECP) can be completed, which is reviewed regularly.
Any next steps or targets identified will be built into the activities, ensuring the child's needs are considered.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child / young person's learning?

A written diary will be used to communicate to parents and family activities will be held along with daily chats. A termly 'report' of progress made will also be used, along with photos of the child engaging in a range of activities. If a child has an Individual Education and Care Plan (IECP) this will be shared with parents when it is set up and reviewed.

What support will there be for my child / young person's overall wellbeing?

A comprehensive list of all policies is supplied to each family when their children first start at the setting, these form guidelines which I adhere to on a daily basis, these policies are reviewed annually. Both my husband and I hold a paediatric first aid qualification. All members of my household have Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance. Children are encouraged to develop at their own pace and to learn self-help skills.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by your education setting?

The Local Support Team funded by the local authority are available, this includes signposting and referral to other agencies (health visitors, Speech and Language Therapy, Portage etc.).

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEN and Disabilities had or are having?

I have completed workshops on: 'Including Everyone', 'Communication for all', Speech and Language, Deaf Awareness, Autistic Spectrum Disorders and a course awarded by the University of Gloucester on 'Developing an Awareness of Special Educational Needs.'

How will my child / young person be included in activities including trips run by your setting?

All outings outside of the home are reviewed for adult/child ratios and children's individual needs. A first aid kit is carried when outside of the setting.

How accessible is your education setting? ( indoors and outdoors)

I have two steps into my front door. The playroom / dining room are on the ground floor, with a downstairs toilet. Nappy changing is done on the ground floor. I will look at each case individually and work with families to consider ways to meet your child's specific needs.

How will the education setting prepare and support my child / young person to join the education setting, transfer to a new setting and or the next education stage and life?

I offer settling in visits which allows me to get to know your child. Before starting school I prepare your child to be as independent as possible and work with them to develop these skills. If your child has additional needs I will work closely with the school to ensure a smooth transition. If together with specialist services we identify your child is requiring additional support, I will apply for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), this will lead to a statutory EHC plan.

How are the education setting resources allocated and matched to children and young people's Special Educational Needs and disabilities?

If the child meets the eligibility for early years funding / additional support, additional resources will be used to meet the individual needs of the child (as per the funding agreement with Southampton City Council).

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child /young person will receive?

Plans are made for individual children following their interest and level of development. I follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) guidelines, monitoring each child according to their age and stage of development. If guidance and support is needed, the Early Years Advisory Teachers (EYAT) will visit. They can advise if additional support is needed and provide support for the funding application to Southampton City Council.

How are parents / young people currently involved in your education setting? How can I be involved?

Parents and families are encouraged to read their child's daily diary and to comment to both the child and myself. Scrapbooks containing observations, pieces of work etc. are sent home each term and parents are asked to provide feedback on any small steps of progress made at home.

Share your feedback on this page ∇

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top