Skip to main content

Sarah Sutton Childcare - Sutton, Sarah

Hi, I am an 'Outstanding' childminder in the Itchen area and provide a home from home setting for children from 3 months upwards.  I provide a variety of care from home with a dedicated playroom and all weather outdoor area.  I also go out to farms, play centres, gardens, libraries, beaches etc.. 

I am quite flexible with hours and will be happy to fit in with what works best for your family and mine. I offer flexible care for older children.

This setting has signed up to offer Tax Free Childcare.

Who to contact

Contact Position
023 8057 0251
07547 684415

Please contact me to set up an informal chat, come and see what I have to offer.  I offer settle in sessions where you can come along with your child for an hour or leave them with me for an hour instead. Further sessions can be arranged to ensure children settle in well.

Where to go

Children's Centre Areas
Woolston Peartree

Dedicated playroom; all-weather, covered outdoor play with mud kitchen, sand and water play; outdoor reading and maths area; trampoline for over 6's and playhouses.


Time / Date Details

Time of day
Early Morning

Other Details


Languages spoken


Table of costs
Table of costs
AmountCost Type
£4.50 Per Hour
Hourly rate includes drinks and snacks.


Age Ranges
From 0 years 3 months to 12 years 0 months

Inclusion Information

Special Needs

Has Provision
Experience with
Aspergers Syndrome
Learning difficulties
Behaviour management
Speech and Language delay
Autistic spectrum disorder
Special Educational Needs
Deafness Or Hard Of Hearing
2015: Completed and passed Level 4 module on Special Educational Needs run by the University of Gloucestershire

Childcare Information


Immediate vacancies
I have up to 6 vacancies for school aged children over October half term, depending on the days.
Date updated

Funded Places

3 & 4 year old funding
2 year old funding

Opening Times

Opening Times
Opening Times
DayOpening TimeClosing Time
Monday 07:00 18:00
Tuesday 07:00 18:00
Wednesday 07:00 18:00
Thursday 07:00 18:00
Friday 07:00 18:00


Maximum number of Vacancies

Vacancy Age Ranges
Vacancy Age Ranges
Age RangeVacancies
2-4 4

School Pickups

Offers pickups
Ladybirds Preschool (Porchester)
Ladybirds Preschool Parkside
Ludlow Junior School
Ludlow Infant Academy

Ofsted Information

Ofsted URN
Link to latest ofsted inspection report 

Local Offer

Contact Name
Sarah Sutton
Contact Telephone
Contact Email

Other Education Extended Local Offer details from Sarah Sutton Childcare - Sutton, Sarah

How does your education setting know if children/young people need extra help and what do I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

Children are tracked using the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) tracker for their overall development. ECaT (every child a talker) is also used for speech and language. These are regularly monitored by myself and make it easy to identify any specific needs for your child.
When your child starts at this setting you will be asked to fill out an information booklet about your child where you can express any special educational needs requirements.  You will also be offered settling in visits where you can stay with your child in the setting and speak with me about your child’s development.
Every term, meetings can be arranged if you wish to discuss your child’s development with a chance for you to see the trackers I use.
Please feel free to speak to me about any concerns about your child’s development.

How will the education setting staff support my child / young person?

As a childminder it is my sole responsibility to manage special educational needs.  I use regular training and professional reading to keep myself updated and trained on specific needs.  If your child has a special educational need which I am not familiar with, I can use my support network to seek out some training to help me care for your child’s needs.
Since I am the only person caring for your child I can build up a very strong relationship very quickly which helps me to understand their specific needs. Those needs will then be built in to my daily, weekly and termly planning taking account of activities, outings and care needed.

How will the curriculum at your education setting be matched to my child / young person's needs?

Each child has an individual tracker and their own targets for each term. The goals are based on stage and not age.
Where special educational needs affect development in certain areas, outside agencies can sometimes be contacted for help. For example I can refer you to a speech and language therapist.  I also have an extensive network and training courses available to help me plan activities based on your child’s needs.
Each term has a theme and from that theme activities are planned using the children’s particular interests and their next steps (targets) with a view to helping each individual further their development termly regardless of their age or ability.  Often targets take two or three terms to achieve and children are supported with this. If a special educational need is still preventing a child’s development then I can help by contacting professionals in specific areas of development and working with you to support your child.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child / young person's learning?

You will have an opportunity to speak to me daily if you wish, I keep a very open but professional relationship with parents which is valuable to the children’s development.  If requested, I can record a daily diary for your child, I can also send you updates throughout the day with pictures especially in the first few weeks to keep you informed.
You can arrange to meet me at any time in the year in an evening after 6pm to discuss your child’s development and this will be offered routinely at the end of each term.
I also use a system called ‘Tapestry’ which allows you to log in to your child’s development tracker and add comments and achievements from home.
Each term I will send home your child’s tracker for you to look at which contains photos and achievements for the term.
The trackers and development tools help me to understand how your child is doing however regular training, research and experience are all very important too.  It is often just a good knowledge of children that shows me that a child may need additional help. If I do have any concerns I will always bring this to your attention so that we can work through it together.

What support will there be for my child / young person's overall wellbeing?

My policies ensure that children in my care are kept safe and well at all times.
As a childminder I am Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) checked along with my husband and my son.  I also regularly update my paediatric first aid certificate.
I use risk assessments for daily routines and outings to understand and prevent the risks to everyone.
It is important that although it is my home, during working hours safety gates are used, doors are locked, visitors are checked and mobile phones are not allowed.
My policies include no smoking, data protection, accident incident and emergency, dropping off and collecting, asthma, electronic communication, confidentiality, health and safety, sun protection, sickness, bullying, evacuation and behaviour management.
Emotional wellbeing is well cared for here as I build up good relationships with children and encourage them to manage conflicts and share resources themselves. Older children are asked to share their ideas and opinions; they can use the suggestion box or speak to me about ideas or concerns.
We regularly use materials from the NSPCC and ChildLine to keep older children informed which in turn filters down to the younger ones, this creates a nurturing environment with mutual respect for all.
I also have house rules which the children learn and follow well keeping them safe and preventing conflicts.
Each day I will give an overview of your child’s behaviour, mood and achievements so that we both have an understanding of their wellbeing.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by your education setting?

I can access other professionals if needed such as speech and language or Portage.  I have a support network who support all childminders, they are able to find out where to get specialist training, equipment or help for any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).
I am a specialist in Early Years development with a level 3 diploma in child development.

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEN and Disabilities had or are having?

I regularly do training to support my support of SEND.
I update my safeguarding training every three years.
I have studied Makaton, schemas and managing behaviour.
I use ECAT (every child a talker) alongside the EYFS.
I update my Paediatric first aid every three years.

How will my child / young person be included in activities including trips run by your setting?

Activities and outings are planned around all of the children so if your child is attending on the day of an outing or activity it will be tailored to suit them too.
All of the toys and the outdoor areas are accessible to everyone with the exclusion of the trampoline for safety reasons.
Parents are informed about the trips and outings in advance so that they can voice concerns or ask questions.
Risk assessments for activities and outings are carried out before the activity in which every child’s needs are considered.

How accessible is your education setting? ( indoors and outdoors)

The downstairs is all one level with changing facilities and a toilet. The garden is can be acessed on the same level. The side areas have a step down but the activities there are moveable so can be acessed by all.

A ramp can be used to access the front of the building if needed.
If English is not your first language I can provide translation tools for all of my policies, procedures and contracts.  I can use flash cards to help with everyday words or a translator on my phone.  Where outside agencies are helping with a special educational need I can request a translator or translation of information for you.
I have a basic knowledge of Makaton and will of course be willing to learn new skills if it helps your child’s development working in partnership with parents.

How will the education setting prepare and support my child / young person to join the education setting, transfer to a new setting and or the next education stage and life?

When a child is moving to year R from my setting I treat their last year as their ‘school ready year’.
This provides any developmental issues to be tackled in readiness for school but also provides emotional support for children and parents.
I provide tips for helping children settle in at school and liaise with the schools about the child’s needs and development.  I will happily go and meet with the new school teachers/staff.
I am happy to provide copies of any paperwork that you wish to share with a new school/setting too.
Similar support is given to children moving areas or up to secondary school.
We always celebrate children moving on with a party or a treat and communication lines are left open for children to come back to visit and see their friends again.

How are the education setting resources allocated and matched to children and young people's Special Educational Needs and disabilities?

Resources are bought as and when needed, if I feel that a child needs specific equipment I will buy it otherwise some specialist equipment can be borrowed or of course supplied by parents.
Some outside agencies will supply or loan equipment for special educational needs which can be sourced during the planning process.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child /young person will receive?

Once a special educational need has been recognised by you or by myself I will then ask you to meet with me to discuss the options for your child and the support I will give. I will then with your permission, contact an outside agency/professional if needed and arrange any training that I need with the option of us doing it together. I will also make risk assessments if needed and write a new development plan based on what we have learned. I will then call another meeting between myself and parents to go through what is planned and agree on a joint plan. This will then be accessed at the end of term to check progress. Dependant on the age of the child, he/she can be involved in the process and give input if needed.
The EYFS tracker will be used as a guide for children 0-5 and where the child also attends another setting I will contact them to involve them in the process with parental permission.

How are parents / young people currently involved in your education setting? How can I be involved?

I like to work closely with parents and always ask for input in my newsletters, I invite parents to make suggestions about activities and outings or to come along with us.
I am very open and honest and happy with parents being involved as much or as little with the overall planning as they choose.

Share your feedback on this page ∇

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top