Skip to main content

Special Care Dental Service

We at Solent NHS Trust provide a quality dental service for all ages who may require a more specialised approach to their care and are unable to receive this in a General Dental Practice.

Who to contact

Contact Position
Administration Team
0300 300 2014 Option 3

Where to go

Special Care Dental Service
Level A, Royal South Hants Hospital
SO14 0YG
Children's Centre Areas

Local Offer

Service Provider Extended Local Offer Response

What does your service do?

We at Solent NHS Trust provide a quality dental service for all ages who may require a more specialised approach to their care and are unable to receive this in a General Dental Practice.

The Special Care Dental Service provides dental care for children and adults who have special needs, including those with a physical, sensory, intellectual, mental, medical, emotional or social impairment or disability or a combination of these which may prevent them from accessing care through the General Dental Services.

It also provides specialist occasional care, supporting care in general dental practice by providing a single or staged course of treatment.

Where is it located and what areas does it cover?

Services are provided at the following dental clinic locations:-

Southampton: Bitterne, Millbrook, Royal South Hants Hospital

Portsmouth: Eastney, Gosport, Poswillo QA Hospital.

Hampshire: Aldershot, Andover, Basingstoke, Eastleigh, Havant, Hythe, New Milton, Petersfield, Romsey, Fareham

Patients requiring a general anaesthetic following assessment will be treated at hospital locations including: - Southampton General Hospital, Portsmouth Hospital (Poswillo Unit), Royal Hampshire County Hospital Winchester and North Hampshire Hospital Basingstoke.

For those who are housebound or frail elderly people, a domiciliary service can be provided.

Who does your service provide for?

We at Solent NHS Trust provide a quality dental service for all ages who require a more specialised approach to their care and are unable to receive this in a General Dental Practice.

People who come into this category are those with:

  • Learning disabilities
  • Severe mental health problems
  • Behavioural management problems
  • Medical complications
  • Child protection issues or looked after children
  • Severe physical disabilities
  • Autism spectrum disorders
  • Treatment required as a result of serious dental trauma if not manageable in general practice
  • Extensive decay in multiple teeth in more than one quadrant where treatment has proved unsuccessful under local anaesthesia.

To be seen within our service you must be registered with a Hampshire General Medical Practitioner (GP).

How can I start using the service?

A referral can be made to the Special Care Dental Service, by Dentists, Doctors, any other Health or Social Care Professional, voluntary organisations and community groups, education/special schools, families, and carers. To be seen within our service the patient must be registered with a Hampshire General Medical Practitioner (GP).

The referral form can be downloaded from the Solent NHS Trust website or requested via the details below.

A completed referral form can be sent to:

Solent NHS Trust Special Care Dental Service                                        Oakhill House                                                                                          2-6 Romsey Road                                                                              Shirley                                                                                      Southampton, SO16 4BZ

Tel: 023 8069 8677                                                                               Fax: 023 8077 2585



How are decisions made about who can use your service?

The referrals are screened by the administration team, however all clinical decision will be made at the time of the initial assessment, by the dentist, as to whether the referred patient is suitable for our service.

How do you communicate with service users and how are they involved in decision making/planning?

The initial appointment is made and sent by our administration team.

Following appointments are made at the clinic and are arranged at a suitable time for the service user. We also have a text reminder service.

Treatment is always discussed with the service user/parents/carers. Consent is gained prior to carrying out treatment. We also arrange ‘Best Interest’ meetings if the service user does not have capacity to consent.

Is your service fully accessible?

We have the use of Hospital transport and provide Domiciliary visits. Some of our clinics have specialised equipment so service users may have to travel to access them.

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?

All our staff have been trained to support children and young people.

Some members have had additional training in Special Care Dentistry.

We have the opportunity to attend other courses relating to Learning Difficulties and Autism, Behavioural management and Mental health that support this care group.

We also have mandatory training for Safeguarding, Intermediate Life Support training, Moving and handling, and Ethnicity and Diversity (for cultural and belief awareness).

How will I know my child will be safe using this service?

We are all committed to provide a safe environment for our service users.

It is a legal requirement that we are registered with the General Dental Council and have had a DBS (Disclosing and Barring Service) check.

How do I give feedback, make comments or raise concerns?

Any feedback, comments, concerns or issues that you may have can be passed on to the team either by post, email or by phone on the following information:

Patient Advice and Liaison Service                                                             Solent NHS Trust                                                                                        The Adelaide Health Centre                                                                   Western Community Hospital                                                                  William Macleod Way                                                                     Southampton    SO16 4XE


Telephone: (Free phone) 0800 013 2319 or call 023 8029 6929

Who can I contact for further information?

You can contact the team by:

Phone: 0300 300 2014 Option 3

Email address:


Share your feedback on this page ∇

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top