Skip to main content

Totton College

Totton college is education provider a specialist unit attached. We provide a wide range of courses and support to enable young people with SEND to develop skills for the next step in life.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Kim Maynard
Contact Position
Customer Advisor
023 8087 4874
Totton College

Where to go

Totton College
Water Lane
SO40 3ZX
Children's Centre Areas

Other Details


Any Other Notes

All learners are valued as individuals at Totton College, we will assess each learner and provide guidance so that they can access the courses most suitable for them, with the appropriate support if needed.

For learners who have SEND we will offer an individual programme by enrolling them on one of our courses offered specifically for students with learning difficulties, or support them in progressing onto other College courses as appropriate.

It is important to us that all learners get the most from the time they spend at Totton College educationally, socially and emotionally.


Local Offer


If you would like to learn more about the support Totton College can offer young people with special educational needs or disabilities, in particular how we could support your young person, please contact: Carol Palmer

Tel: 02380874874 Email

Should your young person have already started college you can still contact the following people to discuss any issues relating to extra help that they may need; Progress Coach, Class teacher, Faculty Manager, Student Welfare Services, and Learning Support Team.

Local Offer Age Bands
Transitions to Adulthood (16+)

Other Education Extended Local Offer details from Totton College

How does your education setting know if children/young people need extra help and what do I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

At Totton College (TC) we feel that understanding and providing the right support for young people, at the earliest opportunity is essential for them to get the most from their time with us.

Before your young person starts at college we will work with you, your young person, carers, feeder schools and other organisations to understand their individual support needs. This can be as early as Year 10 for some learners. At enrolment we will complete assessments to provide us with more information about preferred learning styles and the areas your young person needs to focus on for instance in Maths or English.

Once at college we constantly monitor young people for issues such as a change in attendance, behaviour, emotional stability or if they are generally not making the progress expected for the level of their course. These can be some of the indications that a young person will need extra help.

If you feel your young person requires extra help with any aspect of college, please contact their Tutor, their class Teacher or their Faculty Manager.

Or if your young person is aware they need extra help and feel confident to deal with this themselves, encourage them to speak to their Tutor, class Teacher, Faculty Manager or a member of our Student Welfare Services Team about the difficulties they are experiencing.

How will the education setting staff support my child / young person?

The support provided to each young person is needs led and varies to compliment the course they are on.

Learning Support: support for mainstream classes will be provided by study skills sessions, learning support staff in lessons to help with specific aspects of learning, differentiated learning material, exam considerations, note taking and other support strategies.

Our Student Welfare Service provides a range of support for emotional, health and wellbeing issues, counselling, financial hardship and housing.

The Skills for Life Team provide support to learners with more complex special educational needs and disabilities. This can include small group size teaching, social communication lessons, therapies, personal care, behaviour management support to devise and apply strategies to manage anxieties and associated difficulties, mobility support, and medical needs support.

Learning Support Assistants are used in a higher ratio to young people than for mainstream Learning Support, for example a young person supported by the Skills for Life Team may require 1:1 support at all times.

This level of support will be provided in co-ordination with a young person’s local education authority.

How will the curriculum at your education setting be matched to my child / young person's needs?

The College welcomes applicants for any course, however all young people must attain the minimum course entry requirements to be accepted on that course.

Mainstream courses will provide opportunities for overlearning, homework help and some in-class support will be provided by our Learning Support team to ensure all young people can access their curriculum.

Our Skills for Life courses are delivered with more differentiation to meet the needs of each learner and their individualised programmes. A higher level of support in the lessons ensures that each young person can focus on their individual learning plan which is related to their Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) where appropriate.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child / young person's learning?

All young people receive weekly meetings with their Tutor to set and monitor individual learning targets.

Information about progress, performance and attendance is available through various means. There are also regular opportunities to engage directly with teachers throughout the term. Moreover, if specific issues with performance, attendance or behaviour do arise you will be contacted directly by your young person’s Tutor.

Young people supported by the Skills for Life team will also have additional liaison opportunities such as daily diaries where home and college can communicate information relating to feeding, medication and behaviour etc. If there are any issues concerning the wellbeing of a young person, home/college/external agency liaison will take place as needed.

Where a young person has an EHCP they will have an annual review completed against their EHCP targets and outcomes.

The college will liaise with and support medical professionals (e.g. CAMHS) where appropriate to ensure the best outcomes for our young people.

What support will there be for my child / young person's overall wellbeing?

The college provides access to Student Welfare Services and The College Nurse, support can be provided on a range of issues such as anxiety, depression, social and domestic difficulties as well as financial difficulty.

Within the Skills for Life Team additional support is provided to those with emotional, social or physical vulnerabilities, in addition to medical and wellbeing support from the college nurse.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by your education setting?

Therapies (SALT, Physiotherapy, OT)

ADRC (Behaviour Specialist)

Hampshire Specialist Teacher Advisory Service.

As part of our careers service while young people are with us they work alongside the opportunities advisor to identify appropriate next steps after college: This includes links with other agencies such as The Hampshire Awards Scheme - Prince’s Trust Programmes, Wheatsheaf Trust employability – for Southampton residents only, and It’s Your Choice for those who are not directly ready for the work place. This can also include assistance in using specialist job finding services for people with disabilities for those who are work ready.

Other (Wheelchair Services for repairs, Other services are used but these are resourced depending on need).

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEN and Disabilities had or are having?

Staff in the Skills for Life Team complete the following mandatory training:

  • First Aid                                                  
  • Moving and handling                              
  • Safeguarding       
  • Fire procedures
  • Equality and Diversity

Other training:

  • Makaton
  • PECS                         
  • Elklan – Speech and Language Support
  • Behaviour Management                  
  • Training from College Nurse around specific medical needs (e.g. Peg feeding).
  • Autism awareness
  • Therapy Assistants         
  • Sensory equipment

Where a young person has specific medical needs, staff will receive training e.g. dispensing rescue medication.

Teaching Assistants are trained to the following levels:

  • NVQ Health and Social Care – levels 2 and 3
  • Supporting Teaching and Learning – level 2 and 3.
  • Teaching and learning – Diploma for Specialist Support – level 3.

How will my child / young person be included in activities including trips run by your setting?

We make every effort to provide all young people with the opportunity to take part in all trips relevant to their learning.

A risk assessment will be completed taking into account all young people’s needs, with input from the Health and Safety Officer and College Nurse where appropriate.

How accessible is your education setting? ( indoors and outdoors)

The college site is accessible to wheelchair users and individuals with limited mobility, each building has electronic doors and there are 4 lifts available to provide access to classrooms on the first floor.

The Skills for Life building has been designed to provide maximum accessibility to young people with physical difficulties, this includes hoisting equipment.

How will the education setting prepare and support my child / young person to join the education setting, transfer to a new setting and or the next education stage and life?

The college will visit feeder schools, have open evenings and taster days for year 11 young people to get to know the college and staff.

Where required additional visits to college can be arranged for parents/carers/young people, or for college staff to go to the young person’s school.

Our student Welfare Team offers careers guidance to all leaners who wish to use the service, this can include help with applications, CVs, preparing for job interviews and other support.

For young people supported by the Skills for Life team, additional transition work will be provided this can include college link sessions, extra visits to college, attendance at reviews by college staff and visits to school to get to know the young person.

How are the education setting resources allocated and matched to children and young people's Special Educational Needs and disabilities?

All young people can receive extra help from our Learning Support Team and Student Welfare Services.

The Learning Support Team Manager will work with the young person (and parents/carers if required) to assess the extra help required and what this will look like.

Where a learner holds an EHCP, they will be referred to the Faculty Manager for the Skills for Life Faculty. This document will detail the support, additional services and medical needs that a young person will require to meet their targets and outcomes. The college will apply to the relevant education authority for funding so that resource can be provided to support the young person in achieving these outcomes.

We then use staff with the appropriate skillsets to provide the support needed, for instance where a young person has High Functioning Autism, they will be supported by staff who have not only been trained in this area, but who also have experience in the role of supporting young people with ASC.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child /young person will receive?

As we obtain information through interviews, school references and reports, attending school review meetings and we receive documentation such as an EHCP, we will assess the best way we can support your young person and the resources required to do so when they first arrive at college.

If a particular approach worked well in a previous setting we will try to replicate its success again.

Where the need for extra help is recognised after a young person starts college, our Learning Support Team will discuss with the young person (and parents/carers where required) the extra help they can provide as soon as they are made aware of a request for extra help. 

Where a learner has an EHCP this will detail more specific support needs that the college will need to meet. The college will co-ordinate with the young person’s local authority to obtain funding. This will allow us to provide the appropriate support to enable a young person to meet the targets and outcomes in their EHCP plan.

All support will be reviewed regularly with you, your young person, the teacher and Tutor to ensure that it continues to meet your young person’s needs as they work towards their targets/outcomes and aspirations.

How are parents / young people currently involved in your education setting? How can I be involved?

Young People can get more involved with the college by joining the Student Union, volunteering at college open evenings and getting involved with college wide events.

There are various Enrichment activities available e.g. film club (these are subject to an individual’s timetable).

Parents can encourage and support their young person to fully engage and participate in their curriculum and take responsibility for their learning.

Share your feedback on this page ∇

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this directory, we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any errors that have occurred. It is recommended that you always check with providers that their service or organisation meets your requirements. We offer an impartial service and we cannot recommend or endorse any providers listed.

Further information