Skip to main content


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this directory, we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any errors that have occurred. It is recommended that you always check with providers that their service or organisation meets your requirements. We offer an impartial service and we cannot recommend or endorse any providers listed.

Further information

Search Results

Advice & Information

 Directory results

What is Dyspraxia?

Dyspraxia (also known as Developmental Coordination Disorder, or DCD) is a developmental disorder which affects physical coordination. People with Dyspraxia have poor fine and/or gross motor skills, compared to their general level of intelligence. This can be seen in tasks such as:- Handwriting and drawing…

What is Cerebral Palsy?

Cerebral palsy is caused by a problem in the parts of the brain responsible for controlling muscles. The condition can occur if the brain develops abnormally or is damaged before, during or shortly after birth. Causes of cerebral palsy include: An infection caught by the mother…

What is Dyslexia?

Dyslexia is a learning difficulty that mainly affects the ability to read, write and spell. People with dyslexia can find it very difficult to read and spell accurately and with fluency, at the level that would be expected for their age and intelligence. People with…

What is Asperger's Syndrome?

Asperger's Syndrome (AS) is a form of Autism, meaning that as with Autism it is a developmental disability that affects how a person relates to and communicates with other people, as well as how they make sense of the world around them. AS, like Autism,…

Working in a school

You do not need to be a qualified teacher to work in a school environment as there are opportunities for teaching assistants, higher level teaching assistants, learning support assistants and special needs assistants in many of the schools in Southampton. What do I do next?…

Working in breakfast, after school or holiday clubs

If you are interested in working with children aged usually from 4 to 14 years or even older, then this may be the right area of work for you. It is usually referred to as Playwork and the practitioners as playworkers or playleaders.

Working in a nursery

Nurseries usually provide full day care for babies and children up to the age of 5.  Some nurseries may also provide holiday or after school care for children aged 5-8 years.  Practitioners work with babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers providing care and education in a play…

Working in early years, childcare or playwork - Could it be me?

What experience and qualifications do I need? If you are patient and enthusiastic, take responsibility seriously and have a sense of fun, you may have all you need to start your career in early years, childcare or playwork. For some roles you can start with…

Why work with children?

What's in it for me? Quality education, care and play for children from birth to 14 years of age makes a real difference to their lives, laying the foundation for all-round development in their crucial formative years and preparing them for adulthood. Thousands of children…

Complaints or concerns about a childcare provider

You should always raise any concerns you may have with your childcare provider. Your childcare provider should have a Complaints Policy, but here are some useful tips on what you should do. Bring up any concerns you have in a formal chat with the childcare…

Share your feedback on this page ∇

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top