Skip to main content

Once your local authority or trust has carried out your care-needs assessment and has established what care services you need, they’ll carry out a financial assessment. This is called a ‘means test’.

This financial assessment will help establish how much, if anything, you should contribute towards the cost of your care, and whether the local authority will pay for all or some of your care costs.

Means tests for help with care costs – how they work

Your local authority will only pay for community-care services and will not provide financial support for other health problems. However, some disabilities, injuries, long-term conditions or complex medical problems can mean you are eligible for NHS Continuing Care funding for your long-term care.

Are you eligible for NHS Continuing Care funding?

Share your feedback on this page ∇

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this directory, we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any errors that have occurred. It is recommended that you always check with providers that their service or organisation meets your requirements. We offer an impartial service and we cannot recommend or endorse any providers listed.

Further information