Fostering a child or young person is one of the most challenging and rewarding things you can do. It is a way of providing a family life for children who cannot live with their own parents.
It is often used to provide temporary care while parents get help sorting out problems or to help children or young people through a difficult period in their lives.
Often children will return home once the problems that caused them to come into foster care have been resolved and that it is clear that their parents are able to look after them safely.
Others may stay in long-term foster care, some may be adopted, and others will move on to live independently.
If you are interested in becoming a foster carer then please go to the Southampton City Council website for further information.
Thinking about fostering? Come along to one of our events, chat to our friendly team and take that first step to becoming a carer.
Southampton City Council Fostering Event
Saturday 23rd March 2019, 10am-2pm
St Mary’s Football Stadium, Britannia Road, Southampton, Hants SO14 5FP
Could you give a child a brighter future? Come along to our informal open day to find out more about fostering. Meet Southampton foster carers and:
• Find out about the assessment process and taking those first steps
• Get advice from people who have been there on what it’s like to foster
• Discover the professional support on offer and the training opportunities
You can also meet members of the Southampton Foster Care Association who can tell you about the social side of fostering and the fantastic work they do to provide activities for Southampton's Looked After Children.
Refreshments will be provided.
You don’t need to register but please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you had any questions. We’d love to hear from you at:
Call: 0800 5 19 18 18
Futher Pop Up Information Events:
- Tuesday 26 March 2019, Co Op, South East Road, SO19 8JS, 10am to 12noon
- Wednesday 27 March 2019, Co Op, Spring Road, SO19 2NT, 10am to 12noon
- Tuesday 9 April 2019, Haskins, SO18 3HW, 10am to 1pm
- Tuesday 16 April 2019, Longdown Activity Farm, SO40 7EH, 9:30am to 2:30pm. Usual admission prices apply
Adoption is a way of providing a permanent home and family to a child who can't be brought up by their own family.
If you would like to transform a child's life and feel adoption is for you or would like advice and support on any of the following:
- You are an adoptive parent(s)
- You want your child to be adopted
- You were adopted
- Your child/relative was adopted and you want to get in touch with them
Then please go to the Southampton City Council Adoption Service.