Skip to main content

Something is not as expected

All children are individual and will develop at different rates. However, to get a general idea ‘milestones’ are used to help track your child’s development and to give an indication as to whether they are progressing at a ‘typical’ rate.

This page contains responses to the most commonly asked questions in relation to child development as well as useful links to information and services. 

As a general rule, if you are worried about your child's development, your GP, Health Visitor or child's education setting will be best placed to offer you advice and support. 

Is my child developing at the expected rate?

View the interactive guide to child development from birth to five years old, including videos and advice to help parents along the way.

The information here will give you an indication as to whether your child is developing at the expected rate.

Who can I talk to if I am concerned about my child’s development?

My child is under 5yrs old

Speak to your Health Visitor or GP (Doctor). They may share your concerns and make a referral to a child specialist i.e. a community paediatrician for further investigation.

If your child is in an education setting you should speak to their key person or the SENDCo (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator). They may share your concerns and suggest that you request a referral from your GP to a specialist or decide to monitor progress more closely.

My child is over 5yrs old

Speak to your child or young person’s class teacher or SENDCo (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator). They may share your concerns and recommend that you speak to your GP about a referral to a specialist for further investigation. 

You should ask about the additional support that the education setting can put in place to support your child’s development. Further information about the support that schools must put in place for pupils with SEND can be found on our Area Wide Education Offer.

What do I do if I feel my concerns are not being listened to?

If your school is not concerned about your child but you still are, you might want to contact Southampton Information, Advice and Support Service – this service offers free confidential and impartial advice and support to Southampton parents and carers who have children and young people (up to the age of 25) with SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability).

There are many local organisations and support groups that you can speak to for advice, support and guidance, click here to view the Support for parent/carers infomration page on this website 


Share your feedback on this page ∇

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this directory, we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any errors that have occurred. It is recommended that you always check with providers that their service or organisation meets your requirements. We offer an impartial service and we cannot recommend or endorse any providers listed.

Further information