Skip to main content

Autism in children

Article provided by NHS Choices

Autism can normally be diagnosed in children at around the age of two.

In many cases, professional health workers may spot the signs of autism during normal childhood health checks, and this may lead to the child being formally diagnosed.

If you think your child may have autism, ask your GP to refer them to a consultant or diagnostic team with a good understanding of the condition.

The National Autistic Society (NAS) is the leading UK charity for people with autism. It offers advice and support for those with their condition, and their loved ones.

I'm struggling to get a referral for my child

If you're finding it difficult to get a referral for your child, being assertive and persistent can help. The following tips may also be useful: 

  • Before your appointment, prepare notes on what you want to say to your GP.
  • Keep a diary to record any unusual behaviour by your child and how often it happens.
  • If there is more than one GP at your practice, ask to see another doctor for a second opinion.

Should my child see a particular kind of doctor or autism specialist?

There can be many different doctors and health professionals involved in diagnosing autism. These are usually psychiatrists, clinical psychologists and, for children, paediatricians.

In some cases, multidisciplinary teams comprising different health professionals may be involved in diagnosing autism. It's important to ensure whoever sees your child has a good knowledge of autism.

You can call the Contact Helpline on 0808 800 4104 for support and guidance.

Does everybody with autism need to be diagnosed?

Many people with autism, and their families, benefit from having an official diagnosis.

Having an explanation for the problems a person may have experienced for many years can bring a sense of relief for both the person with autism and their parents, particularly those at the more able end of the spectrum. It can also help them get the most appropriate care and support.

Read more about why autism should be diagnosed

Article provided by NHS Choices

See original on NHS Choices

If you are a parent/carer looking for support and advice, click here to visit the support for parent/carers page on this website.

There is also a Local autism support information page, click here to visit this page.

The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) can offer support, advice and based on criteria, assessment if you believe your child or young person may be Autistic, click here to visit the CAMHS Information page.

Share your feedback on this page ∇

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this directory, we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any errors that have occurred. It is recommended that you always check with providers that their service or organisation meets your requirements. We offer an impartial service and we cannot recommend or endorse any providers listed.

Further information