All Governors have a statutory responsibility with regard to Safeguarding.
This virtual course will support governors to understand their safeguarding responsibilities. It is suitable for any governor, as well as governors with lead responsibility. It will give practical support in monitoring safeguarding within their school and build awareness of current safeguarding issues and local processes.
The training will be based upon the most recent Keep Children Safe in Education, Working Together to Safeguard Children and Young People and Inspecting safeguarding documents published, as well as considering other statutory information. It will include presentation regarding Ofsted’s June 2021 publication “Sexual Abuse in schools” and explore the recommendations made. It will also cover local issues identified through the safeguarding self-evaluations 2021.
This training is delivered by a team from SCC from education and social care collaboratively and attendance will be included in the annual education report to the Southampton Safeguarding Children Partnership Board in 2022.
- Have up to date information regarding statutory governor responsibilities for safeguarding together with national updates
- Understand key learning from Serious Case/ practice Reviews and how this links to governor responsibilities.
- Apply the Ofsted publication “Sexual abuse in schools” recommendations to your own setting
- Consider questions to ask regarding the curriculum covering safeguarding issues and gather pupil and parental feedback about safeguarding issues.
- Prepare/ consider a schedule of governor safeguarding monitoring activities for the coming year
- Select one workshop to gather further information from and take away ideas of how to apply this information into your role as a governor
- Be able to update any improvement plan/ action plan as a result of your learning
- Be able to disseminate learning to other governors.
Delegates must choose only one workshop from below as a first choice
Please state workshop title on the Booking Form
- Monitoring the SCR and safer recruitment
- Allegations management – flowchart of actions
- Harmful practices and governance oversight
- Absence processes and their link to safeguarding, including reduced timetables
- Online safety and governor oversight
- Transfer of records oversight
- Designated teacher and additional responsibilities for the Virtual school
- DSL and governor oversight of role
- Meeting the needs of children with medical needs oversight
- Prevent toolkit
Prices for this course
Maintained Schools - up to 5 delegates per school £50
Academy and Free Schools - up to 5 delegates per school £55
You will need to already have some understanding of safeguarding, child protection and safer recruitment policies in place in your organisation. As well as knowledge of your schools most recent safeguarding self-evaluation and any improvement/action plan for safeguarding.