Skip to main content

Young Carers

If you are under 18 and spend a lot of time helping a relative or someone who lives in your home you might be a ‘Young Carer’.

Some of the ways children and young people care for someone are:

  • Staying in the house to be there for them
  • Helping them to get up, get washed or dressed, or help going to the toilet
  • Supporting the person's treatment or management of their condition by giving medication or accompanying them to appointments
  • Doing the household chores like shopping, cleaning and cooking
  • Managing money, shopping, paying bills or running errands
  • Looking after younger brothers and sisters
  • Providing emotional support or keeping the person company.

If you spend a lot of time doing these kinds of things, it may mean that you can’t always get to school or college or keep up with your homework. Having time with your friends or to enjoy a hobby is more difficult and you might feel worried about the person that you care for.

The government says that you or your parent can ask for an assessment to find out what help you both need. If you would like to talk to someone about this you could speak to your school, to a professional that is already working with your family, or contact the Young Carer’s service.

If you live in Southampton, there is a Young Carer’s service that you can find out more about. They run groups and fun activities and help young carers in school. Children and young people can be referred to the service when they have had an assessment, or you can contact them yourself to have a chat.

Our Carer Aware e-learning course may also be of interest to you.

No Limits' Young Carers project

Share your feedback on this page ∇

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this directory, we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any errors that have occurred. It is recommended that you always check with providers that their service or organisation meets your requirements. We offer an impartial service and we cannot recommend or endorse any providers listed.

Further information