Skip to main content

Leaving Children's Social Care

Social Services have a duty to help you with your housing needs when you are about to leave care. They should also continue to support you once you leave and help you to sort out any problems.

You will need to meet with your Social Services key worker or youth support worker as part of your leaving care package. This is when you can talk about suitable accommodation and apply for financial help if necessary. Between the two of you, you should create a leaving care plan which will set out what help and support you will need to cope with life outside care.

Make sure you keep in contact with your social worker and tell them immediately if anything goes wrong with your housing. Southampton's Social Services offices are open 8.30am-5pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am-4.30pm on Fridays and you can get in touch with your nearest Social Services department by calling 023 8083 3336.

You can also contact them in the evenings and at weekends on 023 8023 3344. This helpline is staffed by social workers and other specialists and can be used to get emergency help when offices are closed.

If you've been in care and are going away to college or university, Social Services have to help you find somewhere to stay in the holidays if your college or university only provides term-time accommodation. Again, speak to your social worker as soon as possible if you know this is the case.

Share your feedback on this page ∇

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this directory, we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any errors that have occurred. It is recommended that you always check with providers that their service or organisation meets your requirements. We offer an impartial service and we cannot recommend or endorse any providers listed.

Further information