This course is essential for people who have regular contact, or periods of intense but irregular, contact with children and young people to ensure that those working with children and young people understand and know how to safeguard children and how to respond when they suspect abuse.
Length of course
Who should attend?
- Early years providers
- Childcare providers
- All types of schools
- Health professionals
- Professionals working with children or families
Please note Southampton City Council staff should access Safeguarding Level 2 training through Learning and Development.
You will be able to:
- Understand what we mean by safeguarding children and young people.
- Identify possible signs and symptoms of abuse and know what to do if neglect or abuse is suspected.
- Identify vulnerable groups.
- Understand the key legislation to safeguard and protect children and young people and your role within it.
- Reflect on learning from Serious Case Reviews and consider emerging key themes including Contextual Safeguarding.
- Understand the Southampton Children’s Advice and Duty Service, Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) and how to referral.
- Understand PREVENT and how this links to safeguarding children and young people.
Monday 3rd of October 2022 - 09:00 - 15:00 - Civic Centre
Monday 5th of December 2022 - 09:00 - 15:00 - Civic Centre
Tuesday 7th of March 2023 - 09:00 - 15:00 - Civic Centre
Tuesday 18th of July 2023 - 09:00 - 15:00 - Civic Centre
Beverages only included - please make your own arrangements for food.
Please note that if less than the minimum required number of 15 delegates sign up for the date in October, delegates will be deferred to the date in December.
Fee for training:
Southampton City Council Maintained Schools £40
Subsidised price for Southampton PVI Early Years & Childcare providers and voluntary organisations £35
Academies, free schools and other organisations £50
- Designated Safeguarding Lead Officer for Education Settings (Level 3) (if appropriate to your role)