Skip to main content

Housing after leaving prison

If you are over 18 and have just left prison, your Probation Officer will be able to give you advice about what housing is available to you.

Hampshire and Isle of Wight Community Rehabilitation Company also runs three hostels in Fareham, Portsmouth and Southampton, mostly taking people on bail or those who have just left prison. Places get snapped up quickly so ask to apply for a place as soon as you can. The Probation Officers are based in teams all around Hampshire; if you have lost the number of yours, ring the Probation Headquarters on 01442 295 010 and ask for your local office.

If you are under 18 and have just left a young offenders institute, the local Youth Offending Service will be able to support you with your accommodation. As well as offering a support service, each youth offending team has a designated Accommodation Officer.

If you become homeless whilst on a Probation Order or a Licence you must tell the Probation Service or YOT immediately or else your probation terms could be breached. Plus, the sooner you let them know you have housing problems, the quicker someone will be able to help you.

Share your feedback on this page ∇

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this directory, we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any errors that have occurred. It is recommended that you always check with providers that their service or organisation meets your requirements. We offer an impartial service and we cannot recommend or endorse any providers listed.

Further information