Work preparation support
Work preparation support is provided by Job Centre Plus for getting people back into work. A lone parent, whose youngest child is under 16, and is either not working or is working under 16 hours a week, can get help under this scheme. There is access to a Personal Adviser, who will advise what funding is available towards course fees, travel, and childcare.
It's their job to:
- Get to know a little about the parent so you end up with a job you can enjoy
- Calculate how much better off you could be in a job
- Discuss with the parent what kind of job you would like to get
- Draw up an action plan to help you get that job
- Help you look and apply for suitable jobs
- Help you find training opportunities
- Help you find and organise registered childcare
- Help you with expenses that may occur during your job search
- Explain which benefits you will be entitled to once you start work
- Continue to offer the parent help and advice even after you have found work
Jobcentre Plus advisers can help you with the cost of Ofsted registered childcare while you go to:
- appointments with your Jobcentre Plus personal advisor
- training courses up to a year long that are approved by your advisor
- job interviews
- work trials.
Contact and resources:
Southampton Jobcentre Plus, call 0345 604 3719 or check out the moving from benefits to work pages on GOV.UK for more information.