The main steps involved in setting up out of school provision are:
- Survey the need e.g. through questionnaire issued to local schools etc.
- Investigate local provision
- Make contact with relevant groups e.g. local childcare organisations etc.
- Design the club (Who? What? Where? And when?)
- Talk to groups of parents / carers, heads of schools, governors, employers etc.
- Legal Responsibilities: Children Act 2004, Employment practice, Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities, Insurance.
- Programme Planning: Drama, cooking, relaxing, television, reading, homework, outings etc.
- Publicising the club: Meetings, schools, Children and Young People's Information Service, Southampton Information Directory, local newspapers, shops etc.
Think about the types of management, business plan, numbers, locations, staffing and training needs, equipment, transport, budget and funding. For more information, take a look at the Planning for Success pages.