Check here regularly for all the latest information we receive for families, parents and carers.
Southampton City Council is working closely with Public Health England (PHE) to provide the latest Government and local advice for you on our coronavirus webpage.
You'll find information on schools, money and benefits, support for businesses, bins and recycling, venue closures and public transport as well as links to official Government guidance across sectors such as transport and residential care. There are also links to the latest NHS health advice.
The Government has translated the guidance for self-isolation and social distancing into the following languages: Arabic, French, Mandarin, Cantonese, Polish, Welsh. The relevant links are below:
03 April 2020
- There are some incredibly useful resources on Winston's Wish regarding COVID-19 and child bereavement under "useful resources and information" including "telling a child someone has died from Coronavirus" and how to say goodbye when a funeral isn't possible".
25 March 2020
- Childcare for Critical Workers: If you meet the Government's criteria of being a 'critical worker' and you are looking for Ofsted registered home-based childcare in Southampton over the Easter holidays, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details of local childminders.
Think Ninja Comms - Southampton (PDF 109KB): a free App to support children and young people with their mental health and emotional wellbeing in this time of uncertainty.
20 March 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Child health clinics held in Southampton Children Centres are closing from next week 23 March 2020.
There will be a ‘Duty’ operated clinic for families to phone in with feeding/minor health issues etc. (Normal Clinic queries).
Those families who need ‘face to face’ contact for specific weight monitoring, jaundice review, they will be offered appointed times in a Children’s Centre, which will be booked via ‘Duty’ phone call or health visitors/community health nurses following visits.
Monday: Pickles Coppice – 9.30 – 12.30
Tuesday: Cutbush – 12.30 – 15.30
Wednesday: Clovelly – 12.30 – 15.30
Thursday: Pickles Coppice – 9.30 – 12.30
Friday: Cutbush – 9.30 – 12.30
- World Book Online have just made their fabulous collection of over 3,000 ebooks and audiobooks available for free for children to access at home. They have books suitable for all ages. Please bear in mind that the World Book Online site may become extremely busy and loading times may therefore increase.
05 March 2020
- Department for Education Coronavirus helpline: a new helpline has been launched to answer questions about COVID-19 related to education. Staff, parents and young people can contact the helpline as follows:
Phone: 0800 046 8687
Opening hours: 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday)
27 February 2020
- Hungry Little Minds is a 3 year DfE- led campaign designed to make it easier for parents to support their child’s early development at home by chatting, playing and reading with them. Much more information and resources can be found on the gov.uk website.
There is also now an app which has been developed to help parents make informed decisions about the use of technology in creating a positive learning environment at home. The full list of apps can be found on the Hungry Little Minds website.
05 December 2019
- CAMHS Southampton City Directory of Services and Support v2.1 (PDF 646KB): A new directory compiled by CAMHS (the Child And Adolescent Mental Health Service) has just been released. It contains a lot of useful information on services and support in the City for those with emotional and mental health issues.
30 May 2019
- News for grandparents: We now have a webpage dedicated to grandparents. There are details of national and local agencies and services who can advise and support you including a link to the Protecting children website and information on grandchild/ren and the involvement of Children’s Services.
08 April 2019
- Thinking about working with children? If you’d like to know more about becoming an Early Years and Childcare Practitioner visit our Working in Childcare webpage. Find out about working in a nursery, preschool or out of school club, as well as about becoming a childminder in your own home.
01 March 2019
- CitizEn Energy: Set up by Southampton City Council, CitizEn Energy’s main goal is to make the energy market fairer. CitizEn Energy wants everyone to get involved and be part of this change. Not only does CitizEn Energy provide fairly priced gas and electricity, they’re also putting any money earned back in to the local community. Whilst it was set up by Southampton City Council, it is also available across the South, South West and the Midlands. For more information see the Citizen Energy Advertorial - March 2019 (PDF 303KB) leaflet.