Skip to main content

Emergency accommodation

If you are under 16, Social Services have a duty to provide emergency accommodation for you. This may be with a family or in a hostel, B&B or similar.

The local councils have a duty to help with emergency accommodation for over 16s – the amount of help varies from council to council but may only be the telephone numbers of the nearest night shelter or homeless shelter. You will probably have little choice in where you can go, and will usually have to make your own way there. Also, don’t expect emergency accommodation to be of a high standard – it really is for emergencies only, when you really can’t find anywhere else to stay.

If you're in a difficult situation, you can access the No Limits advice centre or the Health and Wellbeing drop-ins within your school or college for support and referrals over housing and other issues.

Homelessness advice

Share your feedback on this page ∇

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this directory, we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any errors that have occurred. It is recommended that you always check with providers that their service or organisation meets your requirements. We offer an impartial service and we cannot recommend or endorse any providers listed.

Further information